Friday, October 18, 2024

UF President Bernie Machen declared in his State of the University address Thursday that UF lacks the resources it needs because of a "gloomy economy." Perhaps he should have taken this into consideration before endorsing Sen. John McCain in January.

McCain doesn't just offer more of the same disastrous economic policies of the Bush administration; he plans to take them even further. Tax breaks for the ultra wealthy form the backbone of McCain's economic plan. With no coherent plan to pay for these cuts, McCain promises to plunge the federal government even deeper into debt.

These irresponsible tax breaks will also widen the divide between the well-off and the middle class. Unregulated and deceitful speculation is the name of the game in McCain's America.

Florida's economy is suffering enough from Bush's failed policies. The state's economic struggles directly threaten UF's status as a top public institution. If Machen is serious about getting UF the resources it needs to become a top 10 public university, he should immediately rescind his endorsement of John McCain.