Monday, September 16, 2024

Foundation to hold fundraiser for children's hospital

Less than a year after the death of their 3-year-old son, Sebastian Ferrero's parents are working to raise the money needed to build a freestanding children's hospital in Gainesville.

The Sebastian Ferrero Foundation will host a Spanish-themed fundraiser Nov. 20 to make its mission a reality.

The foundation also aims to promote patient safety to prevent medical errors similar to the ones in their son's case from occurring.

On Oct. 8, Sebastian was taken to Shands at UF's pediatric clinic to determine if he had a slow growth rate, which could be verified through the testing chemical arginine.

A nurse administered more than 10 times the dose he needed, and Sebastian died Oct. 10.

"We are looking to turn something very tragic into something very positive," said Horst Ferrero, Sebastian's father.

The event, called "Noche de Gala," will feature flamenco dancers, Spanish guitarists, Paso Fino horses, cigar rolling, fireworks and a silent auction, said Debbie Joseph, the foundation's executive director.

"We wanted to do something new, different and fresh," Joseph said. "It should be a really amazing experience."

The foundation has already raised about $150,000 in sponsorships from 21 local businesses, and the Ferreros have pledged to match all sponsor contributions, Joseph said.

Sponsorships range from $500 to $15,000, according to the foundation's Web site.

The event will be held at the Tioga Town Center. Tickets cost $150 per person and $1,000 per table, Joseph said.

Ferrero said the foundation has received tremendous support already, and has raised about $500,000 since its start.

Joseph said the foundation hopes to raise $1 million in sponsorships by December.

If it meets that goal, $2 million will be raised, thanks to the couple's matching incentive.

Joseph said about $300 million to $500 million will be needed to build the children's hospital.

The foundation hopes to start construction within five years.