Monday, September 30, 2024

When Nitu Begur began at UF, she already had enough to worry about.

Cut off from her parents because of her choice in college, major and boyfriend, she was forced to pay for everything herself.

Life hasn't become much easier since then.

Last February, Begur, now a business administration senior, discovered she was pregnant.

Across the nation, parents are finding it difficult to afford quality child care.

"Baby Gators has a huge waiting list and is expensive, even for a student," said Begur, whose October due date is quickly approaching.

"As a student who already works full-time and goes to class, which takes most of my paycheck, that would mean one of us dropping out and taking a second job so we could afford it."

Begur said she understands UF provides rates that are more accessible compared to other daycare centers in Gainesville but believes more could be done to assist pregnant students.

The solution Begur found to her problem was to work full-time at an off-campus child care center, O2B Kids.

Because she is working full time, she will be able to send her daughter there for free.

However, a simple solution is not always available for students facing this challenge.

Pamela Pallas, director of Baby Gator Child Development and Research Center, said the center tries to work with students. The center compares its prices with other local facilities each spring to keep fees low, she said.

Student rates for infants cost $185 a week, $170 a week for 1-year-olds, $150 a week for 2-year-olds and $100 a week for 3- to 5-year-olds.

Despite low prices, UF can't meet the demand from students, Pallas said.

Baby Gator has a 250-name waiting list.

"We know we are not meeting the child care demand," Pallas said.

Pallas said a new center will open in January, which will help.

Still, it won't fix the shortfall, she said. Baby Gator is always fully enrolled and rarely has openings.

Of the 130 enrolled children, 80 percent of the center is comprised of students' children, both graduate and undergraduate. The remaining 20 percent is comprised of the faculty and staff's children, Pallas said.

Begur said she believes that since child care is a necessity, it should be more obtainable.

"I wish UF was friendlier with it, and it doesn't help that I won't be getting financial aid money until next year," she said.