Monday, September 30, 2024

UF students can fight their weariness of the return of classes by getting their chuckle on tonight.

Comedian Sherman Golden will perform at the Orange and Brew from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Golden, whose performance was organized by the Reitz Union Board, is a 68-year-old comedian, according to his MySpace profile.

"He's best known for appearances on BET Comic View, and he's also been part of a few comedy tours with the likes of Chris Tucker and Bruce Bruce," said Rilwan Ajayi, co-director of the RUB committee in charge of the event.

Ajayi, a UF accounting and philosophy junior, said he thought Golden's humor would be a perfect fit with Black Student Welcome Week.

The board did not receive sponsorship for its Monday-night comedy series, but two events were scheduled anyway, starting with Golden.

The committee's second event will feature Redbone on Sept. 8.

Board members are looking to bring in fewer established comedians in favor of more locals, many from the Savannah, Ga., area, this fall.

"We were trying to be as efficient as possible without making our budget too expensive," Ajayi said.

The RUB comedy committee currently has a budget of about $16,000 for the academic year. About $1,500 was spent to bring Golden to UF, Ajayi said.