Monday, September 30, 2024

Student Government event to promote hurricane preparedness

Knowledge of what to do during a storm may be the best defense for students this hurricane season. A free flashlight doesn't hurt either.

The Community Involvement and Housing Affairs Cabinets of Student Government will host "Can You Stand the Rain?" on Friday. The event is designed to educate students about proper procedures to take before, during and after a hurricane.

Preparedness-related prizes, such as water bottles, flashlights and batteries, will be given away.

Kamali Burke, community involvement director, said the event is a great opportunity for first-year students to learn about the resources available on campus and around Gainesville.

Representatives from the North Central Florida Chapter of the American Red Cross and the Inter-Residence Hall Association will speak at the event about hurricane and dorm preparedness. David Stopka of the Department of Recreational Sports will inform attendees on how Southwest Recreation Center is used as a shelter during hurricanes.

The event will be held at 2 p.m. in Room 282 of the Reitz Union.