Monday, September 30, 2024

Harn Museum to remain open six days a week

The Harn Museum of Art will remain open six days a week despite an earlier budget-cutting plan that would have closed the building on Tuesdays.

Rebecca Nagy, the museum's director, said $100,000 pledged by private donors who asked to remain anonymous allowed the museum to stay open an extra day, though it will still be closed on Mondays as usual.

Nagy said in addition to a decrease in the number of exhibit tours the museum could offer, closing the doors on Tuesdays would have meant one less session of Tot Times, where children 2 to 5 years old receive hands-on interaction with art, each month.

Meanwhile, other UF art centers were not able to save some of their popular programs and personnel from budget cuts.

The Phillips Center for the Performing Arts has already downsized its 2008-2009 schedule by 25 percent, said Mike Blachly, the center's director.

The cut means about 20 fewer shows will be brought to UF this year.

The Florida Museum of Natural History faces a $515,000 budget cut.

Six full-time positions have been eliminated, and five employees were laid off, said Douglas Jones, the museum's director.