Friday, October 18, 2024

Win for Jaguars means more than just advancing in the playoffs

The big picture isn't always the big picture.

When the Jacksonville Jaguars and New England Patriots meet in Saturday's AFC divisional playoff game, more will be at stake than advancing in the playoffs or maintaining perfection.

While the Pats strive for the label of greatest team ever, a win for the Jags could be a real franchise-stabilizing moment.

After dealing with blackouts and the small Jacksonville market for several years, there was talk before this season that the Jaguars could vacate Northeast Florida.

After making a last-minute quarterback switch to replace Byron Leftwich with David Garrard, it seems Coach Jack Del Rio has earned a new contract. But despite the growing hype that surrounded the team as the season progressed, its fans didn't look convinced until the home finale against Oakland.

In that game, the stands were filled and rocking for the whole contest, and the only way to keep that mentality around in the River City is by pushing through the "dark horse" label the Jags currently have and bursting onto the national scene.

The hard route: continue on at a steady pace, struggling through the AFC South year after year with the hopes of one day surpassing the Indianapolis Colts.

The quick fix: beat the Patriots Saturday.

Toppling the unbeatable foe would inject some life into a Jaguars organization and fan base that is teetering on the edge of becoming something special.

Who knows? Maybe a surge of interest in the team might prompt the Jags to get - Gasp! - a big-play receiver.

Most importantly, getting through New England to the AFC Championship would give Del Rio some very solid ground to stand on, not that he hasn't already earned it. Coaching stability is crucial for the Jaguars to stay put. They have taken on the personality of their leader, and should he leave before the franchise begins selling out every game, the consequences could be dire.

All it takes is one or two bad seasons to send the team packing.