Gators’ first home loss comes to in-state rival

<p dir="ltr"><span>Florida designated hitter Nelson Maldonado had one of UF's two hits in its 6-1 loss to USF on Tuesday in Tampa.</span></p>
<p><span>&nbsp;</span></p>

Florida designated hitter Nelson Maldonado had one of UF's two hits in its 6-1 loss to USF on Tuesday in Tampa.

North Florida’s Chris Berry launched a ball off the scoreboard in the top of the ninth.

The third baseman’s three-run home run put away the Gators, as they fell to North Florida at Alfred A. McKethan Stadium 7-1.

The No. 5 Gators have now dropped two straight. UF scored one run in consecutive games, including a loss to South Florida, and were outscored 13-2 in that stretch after beginning the season with a series sweep over Long Beach State.

“We’re not quite there yet, we will get there,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “But credit USF and UNF. They played good the last two nights.

Freshman Christian Scott started for the first time in his career and allowed back-to-back singles to Wes Weeks and Chris Berry to begin the game. Scott followed with a strikeout and forced a ground ball to Christian Flint at second base. Flint had an opportunity to turn an inning-ending double play.

Instead, he committed an error, loading the bases. Jay Prather capitalized on the misstep with an RBI single to put UNF (3-1) ahead 1-0.

Flint was in at second for the injured Blake Reese. O’Sullivan said he is optimistic that Reese will play against Miami this weekend.

Tanner May blasted a home run for the Ospreys to lead off the second inning, which was the last inning Scott pitched. He finished the night with three strikeouts and allowed four hits and two earned runs.

Freshman Ben Specht came in to relieve Scott and gave up a leadoff homer to Tanner Murphy in the third inning.

Florida’s bats were much more lively than they were against USF, a game in which the team had just two hits compared to eight last night, but it was largely unable to capitalize with runners on and struck out 11 times.

“I don’t want to use the excuse that we’re young,” Nelson Maldonado said. “Each and every one of these players are ready to play at this level, but it’s evident that we’re struggling right now and we’re looking for that click.”

Catcher Santino Miozzi singled with two outs in the fifth inning, and Austin Langworthy did the same, giving Brady McConnell an opportunity to tie the game.

And he almost did.

McConnell flew out to the center fielder just a few feet shy of the wall to end the inning.

UF began the sixth inning with a pair of hits from Maldonado and outfielder Wil Dalton. Third baseman Cory Acton brought Maldonado home on a sacrifice fly. And with two outs, first baseman Kendrick Calilao had a pinch hit single to set up first and third.

Brady Smith pinch hit for Flint and struck out to end the inning, squandering another opportunity for the Gators.

Florida left nine runners on base in total.

Two freshmen pitched well for Florida out of the bullpen in their debuts. David Luethje threw three scoreless innings, retiring all nine batters he faced. Nick Pogue relieved Luethje and struck out the side in the eighth inning.

Tanner Clark hit a ground ball to left field, and Dalton muffed it, allowing Alex Reynolds to score from second to put North Florida ahead 4-1 in the ninth inning.

Berry all but secured the Ospreys’ win with a three-run home run. His home run off Pogue was the fifth allowed by the Gators’ pitching staff in two games, and it seemed to take the life out of the team.

In the bottom of the ninth, following a walk, Florida struck out three times to end the game, twice looking.

UNF is now 3-1 against SEC opponents while UF drops a second-straight game to a non-conference, in-state opponent.

“At the end of the day it’s the early part of the season,” O’Sullivan said. “We just gotta put this one behind us, have a good practice tomorrow and we got a quick turnaround with Miami coming in.”

Follow Kyle Wood on Twitter @Kkylewood and contact him at kwood@alligator.org

Nelson Maldonado recorded one hit and a run in four at-bats in the Gators' 7-1 loss to North Florida on Wednesday.