<p dir="ltr">Coach Kevin O'Sullivan successfully dialed-up a gimmick steal play in the Gators' win over the USA 18-U team.</p>

Coach Kevin O'Sullivan successfully dialed-up a gimmick steal play in the Gators' win over the USA 18-U team.

It doesn’t matter who the opponent is. If the opportunity presents itself, Gators baseball coach Kevin O’Sullivan will run his special play.

It can be broken down into three simple steps when there are runners on the corners.

The first is easy enough. Have whoever is on first base start to run as if he is stealing a base.

The second is almost comical. Have that runner “trip” and fall as if his shoes were tied together.

The last step will work just about every time. Have the runner on third steal home while the pitcher is distracted.

This is exactly what happened during UF’s 8-1 exhibition win over the USA U-18 team at the Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte, Florida.

Freshman right fielder Kendrick Calilao slipped at first, allowing left fielder Austin Langworthy to take home and extend the score to 3-0.

It was the same play used to help the Gators win Game 3 of the Super Regionals against Auburn last season.

Tommy Mace got the starting nod for Florida on Sunday, pitching three near-perfect innings with no hits, three strikeouts and a walk. Jack Leftwich relieved him, going two innings with three strikeouts and a hit.

Hunter McMullen, Jordan Butler, Christian Scott and Hunter Ruth each pitched an inning after, combining for three strikeouts, nine hits and allowing just one run.

Florida only had six hits. Designated hitter Nelson Maldonado led the way with two hits, including a dinger in the top of the first inning. UF’s next scoring opportunity came in the fourth when Langworthy stole home.

The Gators tacked on three more in the fifth. Maldonado’s single to left field brought in two runs, and Calilao’s fly-out allowed outfielder Wil Dalton to score.

First baseman Kris Armstrong’s single to left field in the sixth and a wild pitch rounded out Florida’s scoring.

The win marks the end of fall baseball for the Gators. The season begins on Feb. 15 when UF takes the field against Long Beach State.

Follow Jake Dreilinger on Twitter @DreilingerJake or contact him at jdreilinger@alligator.org.