Wednesday, September 18, 2024

I am an angry lesbian. UF would like to foster “a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere” for new and old students alike. As an institution, we take great pride in the numerous multicultural organizations on our campus as well as the diversity and uniqueness of individual students and faculty. We have programs such as Pride Organization and Friends to bring together gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders and allies on campus. I am pleased that UF conveys this accepting environment but am surprised by its inaction. For the past few months, one of our restaurants on campus has been embroiled in controversy over their statements and monetary donations to anti-gay organizations. Chick-fil-A used its charitable arm, The Winshape Foundation, to donate more than a million dollars to anti-gay political organizations.

While I love waffle fries as much as the next person, I think UF ought to reconsider their involvement and support of Chick-Fil-A. I understand the company maintains an image of Christian moral values by closing on Sundays, but where is the corporate responsibility? If large, national corporations are supporting discrimination of marginalized groups, how am I supposed to believe that I am accepted and valued? UF needs to re-examine its value system and see if Chick-Fil-A really fits our attitude.