Friday, July 05, 2024

When I was in elementary school, I spent a lot of time in the car. Whether it was driving my siblings and myself to the various interests that occupied our time, such as dance class or soccer practice, driving us all to school and back every day like an absolute saint, or driving the family off across the country on vacation, my lovely, self-sacrificing parents did a lot of driving three young, talkative, easily riled-up kids around. Not to sound like someone who despises technology — because I don’t — but they managed to do this day in and day out without the helpful distraction of an iPad for small, sticky fingers to latch onto. I applaud their self-control, and I must remember to call home more often.

As a mechanism for distraction, brain-growth and general amusement, my mother kept a few appropriately named “car books” tucked under the passenger seat at all times. Usually the car book was one from the "Harry Potter" series, because my family is nothing if not HP-devoted.

The car book was a welcome distraction, and with due diligence my older sister or I would read the antics of our three favorite Hogwarts students aloud. The wilder the interpretation, the better. Voices, gesticulations, great pauses for effect: We did it all. I look back fondly on these memories as being ones that not only helped my love for "Harry Potter" grow into lifelong obsession, but also encouraged me to expect some kind of book-reading to happen during any car ride. I never get motion sickness while reading on the bus or the plane, and I thank my mother’s foresight for it.

The problem is, I don’t get in nearly as much book time as I used to.

We all intend to read, whether before bed, on the bus or standing in line for Krishna lunch, but more often than not, it turns to scrolling through Facebook or falling asleep with a despondently unread book sitting on your chest.

So in the spirit of missing the voices of my sisters relating the wit of Harry’s first quidditch match, I decided to try audiobooks, and I recommend everyone give it a go as well.

Audiobooks are convenient on the run, generally inexpensive and come with plenty of playacting of voices, dramatic effect and emotional upheaval. 

More literary than a podcast but not as distracting as a movie, audiobooks are the perfect blend between the satisfying bulk of a book and the relaxing release of music. 

You can find audiobooks on Amazon, through iPhone apps or through your local library if you feel like going old-school and breaking out the dusty CD player. Maybe you’re cool like that.

In honor of Women’s History Month, here are some titles read by lovely, kick-butt women to inspire your morning commute, your end-of-the-day bubble bath or your afternoon coffee.

I recommend Roald Dahl's “Matilda,” read by Kate Winslet, because she can balance the quirky whimsy of childhood with the mature nostalgia of adulthood perfectly.

There’s also “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen read by Rosamund Pike. Pike actually played the character of Jane in the 2005 movie adaptation, which gives her elegant and softly intimate voice a new depth of relatability.

“Why Not Me?” by Mindy Kaling, read by Kaling herself, is also a must-listen. Hear all of Kaling’s whip-smart and crackly comedy as it was meant to be read — by the author herself. Hearing her story about meeting the Obamas feels as present as if she told it to you over cocktails.

I hope these audiobooks give you some entertaining times over the next week. 

If all else fails, it never hurts to invest in a few “car books” to keep stowed away in the backseat. Personally, I’d recommend Harry Potter.

Sally Greider is an English and public relations junior. Her column appears on Wednesdays.