Tuesday, July 02, 2024

A note to Donald Trump from a Clinton supporter

Congratulations.

It has been a long fought race for the White House, with a campaign ending on much more than a fever pitch. In 71 days, you will assume office, after what I can only imagine will be a “tremendous” and “the best” inauguration proceeding. You’ve won.

I’m reminded of a quote from the period of the French Revolution: “Ils dovient envislager qu’une grande responsibilité est la suite inseparable d’un grand pouvoir:” (One) must consider that great responsibility follows inseparably from great power.” It may be a philosophical thought of an enlightened population or a cheesy quote that ties together the persona of Spider-Man, but nonetheless, it is a quote necessary for anyone in power to remember. In accepting victory last night, you pledged to be a president for all of the people. You stated that this notion was “so important” to you. As an American citizen, I am holding your actions to your words from this day until day 1,534 — and maybe even until day 3,068.

Last night, drunk off confusion and drinks laced with the bitterness of defeat, I had a profound thought about my own future that hadn’t made any real sense until this morning. It started with a few questions: Why should I continue to better myself by performing actions like studying for the LSAT? Why should I go to law school? Why should I get up and slave away to join a profession that will undoubtedly become doused with vitriol and frivolity because of the results of this election?

Last night, in my disillusioned state, I thought about how I had hoped and dreamed of a second Clinton presidency, one in which the wrongs of the past would be righted and justice granted to those who needed it most. As I woke up this morning, I asked myself these questions again, and this time, my answer to all of them were clear and concise: I will continue. I will continue to fight for what I believe is right. I will continue to be motivated, maybe even more so, to see justice done in my America. I will not bow, and I will not break. Just as my country has for 240 years, I will weather this storm.

While this letter may seem like an unabashed acceptance of your statements in the past 19 months, rest assured, it is not. I do not, nor will I ever, endorse your policies, nor your way of thinking. The fabric of what makes this country great relies on this sentiment: the grand idea that I can unequivocally state I disagree with you, Mr. President-elect, and not be afraid of any consequences.

So, Mr. President-elect, whether you choose to be gasoline in the fire or the pleasant splash of cold water after a long night of hard drinking, I hope you will find it in yourself to let your vindictiveness be lost in the minutiae of the office and help comfort this nation through good, honest works. Starting today, the American people will have to live with the choices we made last night. Starting today, I choose not only to live, but to fight for what I believe in and to be on the right side of history. Good luck, Mr. President-elect, and I do mean that sincerely.

Isaac Netzer is a UF political science senior.