<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-0f120c77-8051-f950-4cab-7ab1ef81d7ee"><span>Mount Kīlauea</span> <span>in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park&nbsp;erupted early Thursday morning.&nbsp;</span></span></p>

Mount Kīlauea in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park erupted early Thursday morning. 

Two UF students’ plans to go camping in Hawaii as part of the Partners in the Parks program from Monday to Sunday are at risk as the volcano Kīlauea continues to erupt.

At 4:15 a.m. EST Thursday, Mount Kīlauea in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park ejected a plume of smoke 30,000 feet into the air, said Jessica Ferracane, the park’s public affairs specialist.

Although the conditions do create excitement, “This isn’t life threatening, and this isn’t cataclysmic,” she said.

The area is now an aviation code red, which prohibits flight over and around the volcano due to ash and the ongoing eruption.

Charlie Carrington, a 20-year-old finance major, and Aaron Gordon, a 19-year-old industrial and systems engineering major, both stressed that the program has taken precautions to ensure attendees’ safety.

The original destination was the base of Kīlauea. Due to the eruption, students will “camp” in the University of Hawaii at Hilo’s dorms, which are located about 40 miles northeast of the volcano, Gordon said. He said that despite the change of location and itinerary, the outlook of the trip remains promising.

Two-thirds of the park has been closed to the public, but Ferracane said there is no immediate concern to those who are more than 2 miles away from the volcano.

“While, yes, the volcano is spewing lava bombs, it is not lethal,” Ferracane said. “Much of the area surrounding the base, which is in danger of projectiles, is closed due to increased seismic activity and damaged roads.”

Such projectiles can be the size of a pebble and launched up to 2 miles from the volcano. Ferracane said that the greatest threat is breathing in toxic gases emitted by the volcano, but in this situation, it is not a concern to those not within close proximity.

Partners in the Parks is coordinated by the National Collegiate Honors Council and provides an “outdoor experiential learning program,” a representative said. Participating students engage in activities such as camping, hiking and learning about the historic area in which the seminar occurs.

The program has offered 80 trips to over 800 university students since its founding in 2007. Students in the program have visited 34 national parks.

For a program fee of $850 per person, plus the cost of travel, 12 U.S. students are able to attend. Gordon said the cost of the program was fully subsidized by a scholarship.

Carrington recommended that students take advantage of the opportunity due to the subsidization. For $3 a night, he is “sleeping on a beach with a better view than a hotel.”

Carrington has also been on the organization’s Buffalo National River trip. He described the experience as life-changing.

“When I’m camping, I feel like I’m reconnecting with a part of myself,” Carrington said. “Nature and camping bring out a really good side of people; maybe it’s because they feel vulnerable and have to trust one another.”

Follow Jacob Kovach on Twitter @JacobKovach1 and contact him at jacobkovach@ufl.edu.