<p dir="ltr">Senator Keith Perry wears socks with stars and stripes Thursday while waiting for Donald Trump Jr. to speak.</p>

Senator Keith Perry wears socks with stars and stripes Thursday while waiting for Donald Trump Jr. to speak.

UF Student Body President Michael Murphy’s potential impeachment has reached a state-wide and national audience, prompting him to seek legal counsel. 

On Oct. 10. Donald Trump Jr. and Kimberly Guilfoyle came to speak at UF. About three weeks later, emails between Student Body President Michael Murphy and a President Donald Trump re-election campaign official surfaced, sparking responses both within and beyond the UF community.

Last Tuesday, several senators called for Murphy’s impeachment in a resolution signed by more than 100 students and alumni.

President Fuchs said he stays away from UF Student Government but he was advised by university attorneys the event was within legal grounds before it happened, according to a POLITICO reporter.

“They said that it was within the law at that point,” Fuchs said. “Now there may be new developments, so we’ll see.” 

UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said UF administration separates itself from SG matters, and it would be strange if they intervened with Murphy’s impeachment. 

“In the university’s subsequent review of documentation and correspondence related to the event, we have not found any violations of law or policy regarding campaign activities or the expenditure of student Activity and Services fee funding,” Orlando wrote in a statement. 

Murphy took on an attorney in the aftermath of the Trump Jr. event. Daniel E. Nordby, a partner at Shutts & Bowen LLP, responded to the allegations.

“Michael Murphy did not violate federal election law, state law, or any university policies,” Nordby wrote in an email.” Rather, this situation is reflective of students on college campuses across America that are intolerant of conservative views.” 

Murphy contacted presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders’ campaign, Nordby wrote.

“Michael fights on campus to ensure all students’ viewpoints are reflected in campus programming and will continue to fight for those students until the end of his term as Student Body President,” Nordby wrote. 

Murphy did not respond to The Alligator’s request for comment. 

Nordby was a general counsel to former Florida Governor and current Sen. Rick Scott, who also shared his thoughts on Murphy’s potential impeachment via Twitter. He, like Nordby, wrote college campuses have a trend of avoiding different political views. 

The Republican Party of Florida tweeted asking people to stand with Murphy, along with a link that looks like a petition, but redirects to a donation page when users add their contact information.

“It is completely outrageous that the UF student president is facing impeachment for bringing @DonaldJTrumpJr to speak on campus,” the tweet said. “If it was Chelsea Clinton, they’d be praising him.” 

The Republican Party of Florida and Scott’s Tallahassee and D.C. offices did not respond to the Alligator’s request for comment by deadline. 

“Enough with safe spaces and Cancel Culture,” Scott tweeted. “We need to STAND with Michael Murphy.”