UF researchers develop new drug for pancreatic cancer

UF researchers created a new drug that could be the key to treating pancreatic cancer. 

Hendrik Luesch, a UF medicinal chemistry affiliate professor, discovered the natural compound used in the drug almost 20 years ago in the waters of Guam. Now, Luesch’s lab has created a synthetic version of this natural compound, which has shown to be effective in treating pancreatic cancer.

Unlike other pancreatic cancer treatments, it directly attacks the cancer cells in the pancreas without guidance from doctors and makes the tumor’s environment more hostile so it’s difficult for the cancer to grow, he said.

“Essentially, it acts in an unprecedented way,” he said.

Jose Trevino, a UF assistant professor of surgery and fellow researcher, said the new drug also differs in the way it affects patients.

The current methods of treatment for pancreatic cancer, including chemotherapy, can be toxic for patients. When tested on animals, the new compound treats the cancer without the toxicity associated with traditional methods.

While the initial testing of the drug focused on fighting pancreatic cancer, the researchers are beginning to evaluate its effectiveness on other forms of cancer, so far with positive results, Luesch said.

The next step is getting FDA approval for human use, Luesch said. The team is hoping the drug will pass clinical trials soon.

“We hope to add [the drug] to the arsenal of treatments for pancreatic cancer and other cancers,” he said.