<p>Ronan</p>

Ronan

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a report of a woman sleeping behind the wheel of her car around 7 p.m. Monday.

Jana Smith Ronan, 64, was asleep at the wheel of her vehicle while it was still running on the side of Southwest Williston Road. A witness told deputies Ronan, who is listed as the chair for UF’s Library West, attempted to drive away when she awoke, according to a police report.

The witness said she yelled at Ronan, who stopped the vehicle, and was able to take the key to prevent Ronan from leaving. The witness told deputies she saw Ronan drink “five to six gulps” of whiskey from a bottle while still in the driver’s seat before tossing the bottle out of the window, according to the report.

When deputies arrived, Ronan was sitting in the passenger’s seat of the witness’ vehicle. Deputies noted she had bloodshot, watery eyes and slurred speech while they talked to her. She agreed to complete a field sobriety test but was unsteady on her feet and staggered when exiting the vehicle, according to the report.

Ronan was charged with driving under the influence, a second-degree misdemeanor. She was released on her own recognizance Tuesday.

Ronan