Tuesday, March 19, 2024
<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-d9f5c01a-acfa-623d-593d-6a80ec422f71"><span>Ian Green</span></span></p>

Ian Green

UF Student Body President Ian Green can often be seen sporting a suit, but now graduates in his hometown get to do the same.

Green announced via Facebook on Thursday he spent part of his presidential salary on suits for three recent high school graduates in his hometown of Marietta, Georgia. Green has spent more than $200 on suits and plans to continue, he said.

Suit recipients belonged to Sons of Zion, a program Green and his father created at their church, he said. The program helps young black men lacking role models find structure.

“I felt that I could have a greater impact on giving back to my community — the community that has helped to shape me to the individual that I am today,” Green said.

The last Student Government executives to donate their salaries were on the 2015 team, according to Alligator archives.

The president’s salary is $10,361.26, SG finance manager Gary Bryant wrote in an email. Green’s salary comes from student activity fees.

Sen. Branden Pearson (Independent, Lakeside) said the salary has been supported by students.

“I think that if the Student Body officer has the ability to use that salary to give back, I’d really encourage them to do that,” Pearson said.

Follow Gillian Sweeney on Twitter@gilliangsweeney and contact her at gsweeney@alligator.org.

Ian Green