Tuesday, March 19, 2024
<p>UF announced&nbsp;Amy Hass as its new vice president and general counsel on Thursday.&nbsp;</p>

UF announced Amy Hass as its new vice president and general counsel on Thursday. 

On Thursday, UF President Kent Fuchs announced that Amy Hass will take over the job of UF vice president and general counsel.

Hass has worked in the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel since 2006. She became the university’s interim vice president in July 2017, following the resignation of Jamie Keith, who was under investigation for mishandling public records.

Hass served as interim vice president for almost a year before officially receiving the position.

“It’s certainly been valuable to have had the opportunity to serve in this role for the past year and to fill those gaps that I hadn’t filled in my deputy position,” Hass said.

Hass’ duties include advising the university in legal matters and mitigating any legal or financial risks it may encounter.

Hass is very excited to continue in this position and has big plans for the university moving forward.

She wants to help UF reach its full potential by doing her best to support its many research efforts.

“We need to spend some time focused on forward progress in the types of places where embracing risk is important to be able to achieve some of those really amazing things that this university is poised to do,” she said.

She also hopes to expand the legal expertise of the other attorneys working in the general counsel office. She wants to provide her attorneys with the opportunity to broaden their portfolios and become well-versed in more than one area of the law, so they can better assist their clients.

“We are poised at the University of Florida to do some really great things, and we’re capable of getting there sooner rather than later,” she said.

Follow Charlie Daffron on Twitter @Charlie_Daffron and contact him at cdaffron@alligator.org.