Students discuss abortions at Planned Parenthood meeting

Yoselyn Paulino doesn’t need an abortion, but she still wants to learn about available resources in Gainesville.

About 15 students gathered in Matherly Hall on Monday night for Planned Parenthood: Generation Action’s first meeting of the semester, which focused on abortions and reproductive health.

Paulino, 21, just moved to town from Miami and wanted to familiarize herself with the different options in town in case a friend needed to know.

“It’s something I’ve been very interested in because I’m a woman, and I want to know what it is like out there right now,” the UF reading education graduate student said.

Paulino said she considers herself a political person and tries to volunteer her time to causes she cares about, like reproductive rights.

“I think no one should ever tell you what to do with your body,” she said.

At the meeting, Kristin Davy, the director of Bread and Roses Women’s Health Center, located at 1233 NW 10th Ave., talked about common misconceptions about abortion.

She said many women who come into the procedure are surprised at how drained it leaves them.

The color often leaves their faces, and women often experience a metallic taste, she said.

She also talked about the emotional impact of having an abortion.

“It’s this mix of emotion that’s going on, and what we tell the patient is any of that is fine,” Davy said. “Whatever you’re feeling afterward, it’s good to feel, it’s OK.”

At the meeting, members of Generation Action talked about two clinics in Gainesville: Bread and Roses and All Women’s Health Center of Gainesville.

Crisis pregnancy centers were also mentioned because they tend to veer women away from abortions and limit the options presented, said Tessa Walters, the publicity chair for Generation Action.

Typical side effects from abortion, like cramping, were also discussed, as well as things to avoid after the procedure — like penetrative sex and heavy lifting, the 19-year-old UF international studies freshman said.

“A lot of women are very scared about abortion and that right getting taken away, so we wanted to work to inform women on campus about abortions in Gainesville and what laws are being passed to try to prevent them,” she said.

Contact Romy Ellenbogen at rellenbogen@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @romyellenbogen