Former Gators football player Jarvis Jaray Moss was arrested Monday night after police said he tried swallowing marijuana during a traffic stop.

Gainesville Police officers arrested the 29-year-old UF student on charges of tampering with evidence and marijuana possession, according to an arrest report.

At about 8:30 p.m., an officer stopped a car Moss was riding in for running a stop sign, according to the report.

The officer noticed the smell of marijuana coming from the car and saw Moss chewing something.

Moss told the officer he was eating food, but when he opened his mouth, the officer noticed large pieces of marijuana.

During questioning, Moss told officers he smoked weed earlier but denied eating it, according to the report.

Officers booked Moss into the Alachua County Jail at about 9 p.m. He was released on his own recognizance Tuesday afternoon.

Moss was originally recruited to Florida by Ron Zook, who coached the Gators from 2002 to 2004. However, it was under Urban Meyer that Moss excelled.

In 2005, Moss led the Gators with 11 tackles for loss and 7.5 quarterback sacks.

During Florida’s 2006 title run, Moss vaulted himself into stardom, famously blocking a last-second field goal by South Carolina to secure a 17-16 victory for the Gators.

After finishing the 2006 season with 7.5 sacks, Moss was selected with the 17th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos.

In five NFL seasons, Moss played in 53 games, recording 34 tackles and six sacks. He has not played in the NFL since his contract with the Oakland Raiders expired in 2011.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 1/17/2014 under the headline "Police: Jarvis Moss ate weed"