Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Buyiswa Mini didn’t give up on her dream of getting a doctorate degree.

She’ll graduate this December with her degree in education at age 66, and she said Nelson Mandela inspired her.

Mini and about 25 students spoke on Mandela’s effect on their lives as they stood around a tree dedicated to him Friday afternoon. The tree, which was planted last year outside Grinter Hall, was the focal point for UF’s African Student Union’s second Nelson MandelaDay.  

After 27 years of imprisonment,Mandela helped abolish racial segregation in South Africa and start the country’s first multiracial elections in 1994. In those elections, he was chosen as South Africa’s first black president.

“He did not live a life of selfishness,” Mini said.

After students shared their stories in Pugh Hall, they walked over to the tree. Kole Odutola, a UF Yoruba professor, told students Mandela is gone but lives on in our hearts.

“We will not forget you,” he said. “We will not dishonor you.”

Mini said Mandela was dignified because he forgave those who supported the segregation.

“He said ‘no, we forgive,’” the South African native said.

He also valued education and stressed its importance for black South Africans, she said.

“I’m just telling you this so you don’t give up on your dreams,” she said. “This is a spirit that Mandela embodied — to not give up on your dream.”

Lydia Toussaint, a UF political science junior, said having people from South Africa made the event more special. She said she liked hearing about Mandela and singing around the tree.

“It was very moving and beautiful,” the 20-year-old said.