The UF organization Victory Over Violence will present "The Vagina Monologues" on Sunday, March 29 to promote awareness about domestic abuse and raise money for Peaceful Paths, a non-profit domestic abuse center in Gainesville.

The play, based off of Eve Ensler's book, covers a broad range of women's topics in a funny, sad, and moving way, said Jackie Azis, president of Victory Over Violence and director of the play.

"It talks about everything from hair to tampons, to exams, and then it gets to serious stuff such as rape and incest and mutilation," she said. "It's personal in that a lot of the stories women can relate to - people don't expect it to be so moving."

So far, about 96 tickets have been sold for the first showing, at 12:30 pm, and 133 for the second showing, at 3:30 pm.

Ninety percent of the play's proceeds go to Peaceful Paths and the other 10 percent go to V-Day, a global movement to stop violence against women and girls.

According to Azis, this is the largest pre-sale they have had in a few years. She believes the community is coming out to show their support for Peaceful Paths, whose outreach office was burned down on Feb. 25.