Alumni, students and faculty discussed the dynamic role of technology and the future of journalism in times of economic peril during a forum Tuesday evening with an audience of about 50 in Ustler Hall.

UF College of Journalism and Communications Dean John Wright admitted he needed assistance with his adaption to modern technology.

“We have a lot of new media,” Wright said, “but I often need help.”

Wright stressed the idea that students need to help faculty rise up to the journalism challenge.

Mindy McAdams, a panelist and an online journalism professor at UF, informed students in attendance they were going to have to make their own paths.

“Journalism is no longer just a job,” McAdams said. “You have to get yourself noticed by publishing and broadcasting yourself.”

April Dudash, UF’s Society of Professional Journalists president and panel member, spoke about the fears she faces upon graduating.

“I remember walking into Weimer [Hall] and having a very naïve take on things, that after school, I’d instantly get a job at a big Tampa paper,” Dudash said. “That’s definitely not the case anymore. Things are so tumultuous right now. You have to work twice as hard to get where you want to be.”

Mike Foley, a panelist and master lecturer in the department of journalism, gave hope to the graduating seniors at the forum.

“This might be the most exciting time for journalism,” Foley said.

McAdams said students need to learn how to write the same 500-word story in 140 words.

Foley emphasized the importance of the quality of stories and said students should treat every article as if it’s their best.

“The value is on storytelling, Foley said. “I urge you to tell stories.”

After hearing the advice of journalism professors, students discussed their career plans.

Britt Perkins, a junior journalism major, talked about her goalsafter graduation.

“I just want to get an internship,” Perkins said. “I’m prepared to do everything: photography, video, audio clips. I’m prepared to work.”