Jamal Sowell met Florida’s legislative leaders in an orange suit embroidered with UF logos.

The UF alumnus and other Gators visited Tallahassee for an annual Gator Day on Thursday to meet with state leaders on legislative and political advocacy.

Almost every UF college or entity was represented in some way, Sowell said. Florida Blue Key, UF Student Government, UF Alumni Association and Gators for Higher Education sponsored the event.

“It is a phenomenal network that I’m thankful to have and thankful to give back to,” said Sowell, who is now the director of special projects for Port Tampa Bay.

According to Melissa Orth, the director of government relations at UF, UF President Kent Fuchs addressed about 200 people, including former football coach Steve Spurrier, Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court Jorge Labarga, Chancellor for the State University System Marshall Criser and UF Board of Trustees members.

Christian Tirado, a UF political science senior, represented the Hispanic Student Association with 12 other members during the day.

He said his group had productive conversations with policymakers, including Sens. Jose Rodriguez and Keith Perry, on topics such as preserving Bright Futures scholarships, supporting low-income college students and Florida Senate Bill 308, which they said is unconstitutional and would ban sanctuary cities.

“Tallahassee may be far away,” the 22-year-old said. “But by coming up and meeting legislators in person, we feel we can start to achieve real change.”

Contact Elliott Nasby at enasby@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @_ElohEl.