<p dir="ltr"><span>Participants started into each other’s eyes at the Human Connection Station, a public art piece displayed on Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday afternoon. The piece was displayed on the one year anniversary of the 2016 presidential election.</span></p><p><span> </span></p>

Participants started into each other’s eyes at the Human Connection Station, a public art piece displayed on Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday afternoon. The piece was displayed on the one year anniversary of the 2016 presidential election.

On the one year anniversary of the 2016 presidential election, Marcela Mulholland wanted people to connect.

On Wednesday afternoon, Mulholland set up a public art piece, the “Human Connection Station,” on the Plaza of the Americas, which she hoped would foster a sense of community. At the event, strangers gazed into each other’s eyes for two minutes and then answered three questions related to politics. The questions asked people how the 2016 election affected them and how they can work to build a more inclusive community.

“If you have a community that is divided or segregated then you’re more susceptible to political rhetoric and arguments that ask you to dehumanize certain groups of people,” the 20-year-old said. “The way you fight that long term is not by protesting but by having a healthier community of people who know who their neighbors are.”

Mulholland, a UF political science and sustainability studies junior, said she felt vulnerable displaying her art piece.

“I let go of my expectations and let it be more fluid,” she said. “People are talking about politics and their role in the community, which is what I wanted.”

Siân David and Aidan Childers began the experiment as complete strangers. After their experience, they left as Facebook friends.

David, a 21-year-old UF history sophomore, said the eye-gazing experience was less uncomfortable than she thought.

“It was good to know that the other person felt as awkward as we did,” David said.

Childers, a UF English freshman, said he and David had a good discussion about politics and community building.

“After two minutes of that, it feels like you’re not really strangers anymore; it breaks barriers,” the 19-year-old said. “It felt good, it was like a bonding experience.”

@Christina_M18

cmorales@alligator.org