Jonathan Gold has worked for Midtown businesses for more than 12 years. Now, he’s decided to launch his own bar.

JJ’s Tavern, a new college bar and pizzeria, opened Sept. 13 to offer drinks, pizza and a cozier atmosphere than Midtown is accustomed to, Gold said.

The tavern, located at 1702 W. University Ave., offers build-your-own pizzas, $4 for a personal size and $7 for a large, Gold said. Customers can munch on mozzarella sticks and corn nuggets while they watch one of the 15 TVs around the bar. The restaurant also has specials Thursdays and Sundays, such as $1 well drinks for ladies Thursdays and $3 triples Sundays.

“I really feel like (the bar’s) more welcoming for the students to come over,” he said. “They know they’re going to have a good time.”

The bar opened where Copper Monkey used to be. Copper Monkey closed in April, according to Alligator archives.

Although the bar is only about a week and a half old, it has already become a staple for some students like Jordan Silver.

The 21-year-old Santa Fe College business administration junior was one of the first people inside.

“It’s just a great, new place that I think Midtown needed,” he said.

@jessica_giles_

jgiles@alligator.org