UF will offer free online courses to displaced college students from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Fifteen students have already applied for the program, UF’s Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Joseph Glover said. About 1,000 students will be accepted, he said.

From Spring 2018 through Summer 2018, students displaced by the hurricanes will have the opportunity to take free courses as non-degree-seeking students, Glover said. Students will not have to pay tuition or fees, and they will receive a free Gator 1 Card, he said.

“We’re very proud to be able to offer this opportunity to help the students in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and we hope that a lot of students will take advantage of it,” Glover said. “It’s our little way of contributing to helping resolve this humanitarian crisis.”

Glover said there is no formal application process, and all students need to provide is an ID card, a bill or a letter from their home university that gives proof of enrollment.

Students can apply to transfer to become degree-seeking students by August 30, 2018 for the Fall semester, Glover said.

Twin brothers Pedro G. Vega Agosto and Pedro M. Vega Agosto are considering applying to the program.

Their university, the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, has been closed for about a month. Pedro G. said the school plans to open again on Oct. 30, but he doesn’t feel confident it will happen.

“My opinion is that, since there’s no communication nes open, I think it’s going to be a long shot,” said Pedro G., a 20-year-old biology junior.

If he takes classes through UF, Pedro. G. will enroll in biology II with a lab.

Pedro G. said in the long-term he’d like to become a degree-seeking student at UF.

On the other hand, Pedro M. is interested in taking courses with UF Online but said he wants to transfer the credits back to the University of Puerto Rico instead of staying at UF.

“It’s a feeling of nationality, and since my father graduated from there, too, I want to graduate from the same college that my father did,” said Pedro M., a 20-year-old accounting junior.

UF Online is currently working to provide Spanish translations for the classes, but Pedro G. and Pedro M. aren’t worried about that.

“We’re bilingual, and I think we’re up for the challenge of a completely new experience,” Pedro M. said.

@Christina_M18

cmorales@alligator.org