Wawa could open three locations in Gainesville soon

<p>A photo of a Wawa.</p>

A photo of a Wawa.

Gainesville Publix locations will face a rival to their signature sub when three planned Wawa stores bring their hoagies to Gainesville.

Three Wawa locations, on Archer Road, in east Gainesville and in Celebration Pointe, a mixed-use shopping mall next to Interstate 75 and north of Archer Road, have been proposed, said Francine Sutton, a planning technician in the Gainesville Planning Department.

The 5,600-square foot Archer Road location, at 2373 SW Archer Road, near Bartram Apartments was first proposed in May 2017, said Jason Simmons, a Gainesville city planner. Construction on the building, which will have six gas pumps with 12 pumping spots, can begin once final comments on the plans are addressed, according to planning documents.

The Archer Road and East University Avenue store, located at 1021 E. University Ave., layouts are planned to be similar, according to Alligator archives. The East University Avenue location was proposed in December 2017 and is not as far along in the approval process, Simmons said.

“It’s not surprising that it might take a while,” Simmons said. “They had to address the fundamental design of the project.”

The location on Archer Road hasn’t had the same problems in the approval process because it is in a different zoning district and has different requirements, Simmons said.

A Wawa representative said the convenience store chain was not announcing any new Gainesville location.

Contact Robert Lewis at rlewis@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @Lewis__Robert

A photo of a Wawa.