To address concerns from exams, natural disasters and controversial speakers, the UF Counseling & Wellness Center held a Mid-Semester Wellness Pit Stop to engage students in health.

From Oct. 16 through Oct. 25, the CWC went to various on-campus locations to speak with students about their concerns, allowing the students to use the center’s resources without booking an appointment. The center’s waitlist is about two weeks, according to Alligator archives.

“It was simply things unfolding on top of one another,” said Gizem Toska, the assistant director of outreach and consultation.

Toska said counseling appointments at the main office were not affected.

About four students received help from individual consultations Oct. 19. Three students came to talk about their stressful week, and one student was impacted by the emptiness of campus, rather than Richard Spencer’s visit, Toska said.

She gave students exercises to practice de-stressing, like journaling.

“We wanted to offer the opportunity to tend to their wellness,” Toska said. “Students chose to engage in a wellness activity. It turned out to be less of a talking consultation and more of a wellness practice.”

She said she hopes to continue the pit stops, but restructure them so more students attend.

Toska said last week was one of her best at the CWC. She was moved by the number of students who expressed their care for mental health.

Dozens of students spoke up at the Student Senate meeting after UF’s local fee committee denied the center’s request for a student fee increase.

“I so appreciate the student voices who seem to be urging Student Government to reconsider our funding,” Toska said. “There’s another angle to that story where Student Government (and) the provost is on our side trying to make this work. I trust the Student Government, that they are working to make this happen.”

Amanda Wolfrom said she sees a psychiatrist at the center for her depression and anxiety.

Wolfrom, a UF political science junior, said a lack of funding could affect her.

“It would inhibit me from receiving the care I need and thus affect my education,” the 19-year-old said.

@Christina_M18

cmorales@alligator.org